707 School of
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
Phone: (86) 21-65902331
Ph.D. in Policy Analysis,
M.A. in Economics,
B.A. in Economics,
Assistant Professor, School of Economics,
Topics in Applied Economics, Principal of Economics
Health Economics, Public Policy, Applied Microeconomics
- "Quit Attempts and Intention to Quit Cigarette
Smoking among Medicaid Recipients in the
- “Reduced Smoking and Rising Obesity: Does Smoking Restriction in Workplace Matter?” (with Kaiwen Chen, Hua Wang and Ning Zhang), Economics Letters (2010), 108(3):249-252.
- “Effect of Medicaid Coverage of Tobacco-Dependence Treatments on Smoking Cessation” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (2009), 6(12):3143-3155.
- “An Analysis of Life-Course Smoking Behavior in
- “Cutting through the Smoke: Separating the Effect of Price on Smoking Initiation, Relapse and Cessation” Applied Economics (2009), doi: 10.1080/00036840801964880.
- “Correlates of State Legislative Action to Address Childhood Obesity” (with John Cawley), Obesity (2008), 16(1): 162–167.
Papers under submission:
- "Use of Nicotine Replacement Therapy among Medicaid Smokers: Impact of Coverage of Tobacco-Dependence Treatments", Health Economics, invited revision
- "Who Pays Cigarette Taxes? The Impact of Consumer Price Search" (with Phil DeCicca, and Don Kenkel), Review of Economics and Statistics, initial submission
- “Excise Tax Avoidance: The Case of State Cigarette Taxes” (with Phil DeCicca and Don Kenkel), Journal of Public Economics, initial submission
- “Reservation Prices: An Economic Analysis of Cigarette Purchases on Indian Reservations” (with Phil DeCicca and Don Kenkel), Journal of Law and Economics, initial submission
- “Maternal Employment and Childhood Obesity: A Search for Mechanisms in Time Use Data” (with John Cawley), NBER Working Paper 13600
- “Mechanisms for the Association between Maternal Employment and Child Cognitive Development” (with John Cawley), NBER Working Paper 13609
- "Does Good Academic Performance Prevent Suicide? Evidence from the Accountability Laws" (with Ning Zhang)
- "Children's Mental Health: Does Economy Matter?" (with Ning Zhang)
- "Alcohol Demand in
- "Does Weather Affect Health Behaviors? Evidence from Temperature and Cigarette Smoking" (with Xuan Yin)
- 13th World Conference on Tobacco OR Health, July 2006.
- 2nd Biennial Conference of the American Society of
Health Economists, June 2008
- 5th HKEA Biennial Conference, December 2008
- 14th World Conference on Tobacco OR Health, March 2009
- American Time Use Research Conference, June, 2009
- 7th International Health Economics Association World Congress, July 2009
- 3rd Biennial Conference of the American Society of Health Economists, June 2010
- American Journal of Public Health
- Applied Economics
- Journal of Family and Economic Issues
- Chancellor's Scholar Award,
Reviewer of Conference Abstracts
iHEA Scientific Committee
- Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned
Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry, grant
to study tobacco control policies in
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics New Faculty Start-Up grant to study the economics of smoking. 2008-2010. Principal Investigator.
- National Institutes of Health R21 grant. “An Econometric Analysis of Cigarette Price Search and Tax Incidence.” 2008-2010. Consultant (P.I. Don Kenkel).